Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Jenny Get Your Hoecake Done"

"Jenny Get Your Hoe Cake Done" (1840)
The Celebrated Banjo Song,
as sung with great Applause at the
Broadway Circus,
by
Joel Walker Sweeney, ca. 1810 - 1860

[Source: 020/003@Levy]

1.
De hen and chickens went to roost,
De hawk flew down and hit de goose
He hit de ole hen in de back
I really believe dam am a fac,
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done my dear,
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done.

2.
As I was gwain lond de road,
Past a stump dar wad a toad.
De tadpole winked at Pollewog's daughter,
And kick'd de bull frog plump in de water.
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done my dear,
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done, love!

* * *

6.
Massa un Misse promise me
When dey died to set me free,
Now dey both are dead and gone,
Left ole Sambo [haeing?] out corn
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done my dear,
Oh, Jenny get de hoe cake done, love!


Sheet music (three pages of GIF files in the Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music collection of the Library of Congress. First page is pix of Sweeney (?) in blackface.
Covered as recently as 1978 by Grandpa Jones (on an album with "I'm My Own Grandpaw" and "Five String Banjo Boogie").


2nd South Carolina String Band at a reenactment



Also 2nd S.C. playing "Jine the Cavalry" audio only ... cf. this clip with sound on film, but shot from a distance.

No comments: