Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Key signatures for Dorian, Mixolydian and minor modes in the most common trad Irish fiddle keys

This chart is from the Small Circle Tune Learning Session's old website. The SCTLS, a slow jam that formerly met in Colorado, had some excellent material on trad Irish music -- almost every bit of which also applied to old-time American string bands -- but they stopped meeting and their website went dark several years ago.

I have copied parts of it in the past to Hogfiddle (links below) for non-profit educational purposes. Here is their explanation of the modes most often encountered in trad Irish music:

Jason Amini's chart follows. I can't make heads or tails of it, but I don't understand the Circle of Fifths. If I did, I suspect I'd feel differently. So here it is, for those who relate to that kind of thing:

Other excerpts from the Small Circle Tune Learning Session on Hogfiddle. They overlap, but the context for each is a little different:


Also parked here, so I won't lose the link and the cite:

Ron Powers, Mark Twain, on Google Books -- Old Woman of Our Town

No comments: