Thursday, July 14, 2016

"Planxty Bill Monroe"

Tater Tate with Bill Monroe - Jerusalem Ridge

Outtakes from an article I'm finishing on Don Pedi's "Tao of Dulcimer" retreats ...

(Better not say anything more about the story, though, since I'm writing it on spec and don't want to jinx it.)

Actually, this one is the only outtake.

I tried and I tried, but I couldn't fit it into the article without going way out on a tangent. And it's too good not to get down in black in white.

So here it is.

It came up at the spring retreat back in April when we were going around the circle calling tunes, and someone called the Bill Monroe standard "Jerusalem Ridge." It's not exactly Don's style of music. But we retuned to EAD (which put us in E-minor), and by golly we played it.

And that's when I learned in Ireland "Jerusalem Ridge" is sometimes called "Planxty Bill Monroe."

Made my day.

No comments: