Sunday, October 12, 2008

HUM 223: TRANSLATION -- WHAT THE SCRIBBLES AND SQUIGGLES ON YOUR MIDTERMS MEAN

This may save you from wondering about ...
1. Checkmarks in the margin of your paper are good. When you see one, it means you said something I liked. Usually something specific that relates to the main themes of the course, your readings, etc.
2. A "bang mark" or exclamation point is good! It can mean a variety of things. Often I put a bang mark in the margin when you said something that made me laugh.
3. "Be specific" in the margin means ... (drum roll) ... be specific! I really, really like specific.
If you can't read my writing, ask me after class. If I can read it myself (which is usually, but not always, the case), I'll translate it into English for you.

ONE LAST NOTE: If you get a "C" on your midterm grade report, that does not mean you are getting a C in the class. It means I don't have a midterm for you, but you've been coming to class so I'm not going to flunk you.

Yet.

It also means: See me after class, and we'll get it straightened out.

No comments: