Tuesday, April 03, 2007

HUM 221: Reader response/assignment

Write a 3- to 5-page paper (750-1,200 words double-spaced in 12pt type) in which you give your response to the poem "Sháá Áko Dahjiníleh: Remember the Things They Told Us" by Dine (Navajo) poet Luci Tapahonso. We will read the poem in class today, and you can get started on your response. Linked to my faculty page are a tip sheet on how to write a reader response and a sample essay I wrote as a model of how I would do one.

As you read the poem, be asking yourself what stands out in your mind. That may be the main point of the poem, but it doesn't have to be. In "Remember the Things They Told Us," Tapahonso seems to be talking about a wide range of things she heard from her elders. Some of them are important, others I'm not sure about. That's OK. I'd focus on the ones that meant something to me. (I like the part about praying at dawn, but that doesn't mean you have to. You're not me, and the paper is about your response to the poem, not mine.) Then I'd ask myself what it is in my background that makes me feel that way. And I'd be sure to quote the passage in my analysis of the poem.

There's a three-part outline that I find helps my students engage with a poem, a painting, a song or any other work of art. (Think "engage" like gears meshing.) You'll see it in more detail as you read my tip sheets, but here are the basics:
1. Circumstances. Since you're writing about your response to a work of art, your mood and surroundings enter into the response. Do you feel the same about a song when you hear it by candle-light or when it's on the car radio in rush hour traffic? I like it, because it helps you focus on what you're feeling about the work instead of parroting what the book says about it.

2. Background. Especially when you're responding to a work of art from a different culture, you ought to say a little about the artist and his/her cultural traditions. Here it's probably enough to say Tapahonso is Navajo (with some detail about her career, etc.), and she's talking about Navajo traditions here. If you follow the link to her website, you'll find more information about her.

Analysis. This is the main part of the paper. Quote from the poem, explain what it means to you and analyze your response to it. Remember to back up your generalizations with quotations, examples and detailed analysis. Remember: An unsupported generalization is SUDDEN DEATH in college writing. You'll get more ideas for how to do the analysis part by reading my sample essay on Kinky Friedman's song.
The final paper is due the day after Easter break, April 9, at the beginning of class.

No comments: