Tuesday, July 07, 2009

HUM 223: Madrigals ...

Harry Belafonte says without the influence of African American musicians, "When the Saints Go Marching In" would have sounded like an old English madrigal. Maybe, maybe not. But the popular music that Englishmen brought to America didn't sound anything like today's. Let's get a taste of what they sounded like ...

We'll listen to two madrigals from a 1984 television series by the British Broadcasting Corp. (apparently from a rerun with Italian subtitles) called the "Madrigal History Tour," narrated and sung by the King's Singers, a popular group of English classical musicians. Both were written about the same time the British colonies in Virginia and Massachusetts were established. A madrigal is simply the name we give to a type of secular song that was popular in England, as well as continental Europe, during the 1500s and 1600s. While they sound very "classical" to 21st-century ears, some of them were obviously targeted to appeal to young men studying at Oxford, Cambridge or the Inns of Court (women were not allowed to attend the universities or to study law). Songs like this were the forerunners of today's popular music.

The first deals with the alleged glories of tobacco, first brought back to England from Virginia and other colonies in the early 1600s. Smoking tobacco was a huge fad, and it was controversial. The song was set to music by Thomas Weelkes (1576-1623), who was a serious composer of choral music, organist of Winchester College and Chichester Cathedral, although he was also "noted and famed for a comon drunckard and notorious swearer & blasphemer." It's called "Come, sirrah, Jack, ho ..." which means something like, "come here, servant Jack." They are singing in an old-fashioned English pub, like those of the 1600s.



The words are:
Come sirrah Jack ho,
Fill some tobacco,
Bring a wire and some fire,
Haste haste away,
quick I say,
do not stay,
shun delay,
for I drank none good today.

I swear that this tobacco
Is perfect Trinidad-o;
By the very very Mass,
never never was
better gear
than is here,
by the rood,
for the blood,
it is very very good,
'tis very good.
"Sirrah" was a form of address used with servants, kind of like "hey waiter!" Trinidad was a type of tobacco grown in the West Indies, and the "rood" was an old English word for the cross. By the 1600s, swearing by the cross was considered a mild oath like "damn it" or "darn it."

The second song is called "Fair Phyllis," by John Farmer (1570–1605), who was Organist and Master of Children at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin and also, at the same time, organist of St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin. As one of the King's Singers points out in the video, it revolves around a mild "double entendre" or double meaning. (It's a French word, and he pronounces it like DOO-bluh an-TAHN-druh.) In other words, it's a dirty joke. It's worth knowing that people told dirty jokes in the time of Shakespeare, and it's also worth knowing they weren't always very funny. Some things never change; or, to use some more French, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.


The words are:
Fair Phyllis I saw sitting all alone
Feeding her flock near to the mountain side.
The shepherds knew not,
they knew not whither she was gone,
But after her lover Amyntas hied,
Up and down he wandered
whilst she was missing;
When he found her,
O then they fell a-kissing.
Keep all this background in mind later this semester, when we study how Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones and other British musicians of the 1960s and 70s came under the influence of American blues artists.

10 comments:

Pete said...

1. What is my reaction to the song?

2. What makes me feel that way? (e.g. background, taste, etc.)

hosby said...

If I had not heard the verbal intro and followed the song along with the words I would not have derived that this song was about tobacco.
My first reaction was that the song sounded muffled and came across to me as just noise. The song was very difficult to understand and I am glad that the words were available for viewing.

2Kings said...

Singing about tobacco to me at that time in history was culturally acceptable. To hear it now we may think why tobacco is such a big deal. In their society it was a new experience; similar to drink an energy drink. Madrigal singing in their time was amusing and artistic; it was culturally celebrated. Nowadays we are not exposed to sub-cultures of music, so it is not as well-known.

Stac said...

Despite the fact that I have never much preferred madrigal style music, I really enjoyed the song about tobacco. I find it somewhat impressive that such a witty song could be written about such a common subject and yet still be very entertaining. Beautiful harmony...

Violet Rose said...

i don't much care for the madrigal song. i liked the jaz. i don't often listeen to either music style.i'm more of an alt-rock/gothalt-rock girl.

Sara Howard said...

1. I felt this song was interesting and unique when the men were harmonizing about tobacco and was somewhat catchy, but i didnt really understand much of what they were singing other than the word tobacco, but it sounded cool.

Shakeria said...

1. What is my reaction to the song?
My reaction to the song was that it was interesting. I like the fact that it was sung acapella. I also liked how the men where all singing different parts of the song yet it was blending very nicely.

2. Why do I feel this way? i love all different types of music and i think that this song was fun.

smrf said...

My reaction to the song was just wow. The reason I reacted that way was because I am not use to hearing that kind of music. I think it would be hard to sing in that way because they sing over one another. It has to take practice not to sing the other peoples lines or mess up. I am use to hearing all this kind of rap, rock, country, etc., about their life or violence; not about tobacco. It was just different hearing that kind of music. I personally do not care for that style but I guess it is okay. I do not care for the medieval music because I need more of an up beat rhythm and lyrics I can some what relate to in some way. I listen to rock, pop, hip hop, country, rap, and some soul. Medieval music and the late century kind of sound is not my favorite but I can live with it I guess.

Rachel Lauer said...

Madrigals Reaction.

What stands out in this? Well, to me, the different tones of the men’s voices stand out the most. They are very different and compliment each other, it seems natural. I also noticed the lyrics; the way that they are written and pronounced is very different than how they would be said today. Instead of using a slang term for a slave, for example, would be more of a waiter…not degrading in any way. It is interesting to read the origin of the words, though…that helped me understand.

How do I react to it? I don’t really have a “reaction” to this…it reminds me of the Seven Dwarfs. That was all I could think about. I read along with the song, but it still couldn’t get me to concentrate on the actual song. I was more interested in the words than the song. Needless to say, it was very weird to me.

Why? What is my background, taste, look of the world make me react that way? I am not used to listening to that type of music. If I might add, listening to the Orleans version of “Saints” did sound familiar. My favorite band included that loud, ongoing jam session of many instruments. They use a sax, a trumpet, guitars, a bass, a violin, and drums (sometimes a banjo) to add emotion. As for the Madrigals, I could not relate to them at all.

rhy said...

this song was odd. I dont find it to be somthing that i like.