Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Workshop: Songs of Wilderness Road - New Salem - Sat April 2

Sent tonight to the Prairieland Dulcimer Strings email list:

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:52 PM


Workshop: Songs of Wilderness Road - New Salem - Sat April 2


Hi everybody -


A reminder: Our last off-season workshop on 1830s-friendly music in "Songs and Tales of the Wilderness Road" by Ralph Lee Smith and Madeline MacNeill is at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 2, in the Visitors Center at Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site. Bring your dulcimer tuned to DAA.


We'll take up four songs. The "Riddle Song," "Storms Are on the Ocean" and "Sheep Shell Corn" are in "Wilderness Road." I am attaching to this email message a set of lyrics w/ DAA fret numbers over the words for "Clar de Kitchen," an 1832 minstrel show tune that has a direct New Salem connection.


And I've been posting YouTube clips for all the tunes to my blog, Hogfiddle, so you can hear them before you start trying to learn them. Here, to get you started on Saturday's tunes, are the most recent links:


http://hogfiddle.blogspot.com/2011/03/songs-of-wilderness-road-new-salem_27.html Background information on "Clar de Kitchen," along with a link to the 1832 sheet music (in D, so we don't have to transpose it for mountain dulcimer) a YouTube clip and a 30-second sound bite from a CD.


http://hogfiddle.blogspot.com/2011/03/songs-of-wilderness-road-new-salem_21.html Background information and YouTube clips for The "Riddle Song," "Storms Are on the Ocean" and "Sheep Shell Corn." A little bit about modes, too, since "Sheep Shell Corn" is mixolydian and the other two are Ionian.


http://hogfiddle.blogspot.com/2011/03/songs-of-wilderness-road-new-salem_14.html Schedule for March and April, and links to blog posts for earlier workshops in the series.


I've enjoyed coordinating these workshops this year, and I hope to see you there for this last one! - Pete

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Well hey there, Doc!
I was just over to visit my little sister out past Decatur the other day, and I brought her mountain dulcimer back home to play around with. Apparently, I still only know the only 2 songs I could ever pick out: Amazing Grace and The Minstrel Boy. So I joined everythingdulimer.com to see if I could get some help finding songs appropriate to New Salem and civil war reenactments…and someone mentioned that you’ll be out at New Salem this weekend. Interestingly enough, I will, too. But unfortunately, I am going to be learning hearth cooking in the tavern, so I won’t be able to wander around much. However, if you feel like taking a walk, come on down and bring your dulcimer!
Lauren Burke