Saturday, November 01, 2014

"You Ain't Nothing But a Lap Cat"

Inadvertently surfed into tonight, while I was looking for arrangements (see post below) of "Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella" for an upcoming Christmas program …

OK, that doesn't make any sense at all, does it? Let's back up a little.

So I'm watching a very nice arrangement of the Christmas carol on YouTube, and I read, "Ah que le chat est beau!" Well, OK, it fits the meter of the song. But what, I wonder, does a cat have to do with the Christ child in the manger at Bethlehem? So I follow the link to the YouTube user's channel, and I see she's a music teacher and a cat person -- not necessarily in that order of importance.

And there among her videos is this:

Lap Cat, blues for harp. Uploaded June 2, 2012, by Freb Hunt-Bull. "Lap Cat gives new meaning to blues harp. Freb Hunt-Bull's parody of Hound Dog is played entirely on harp. Like it, then go adopt a cat."

"Freb is a harpist and music teacher in New Hampshire," according to her YouTube channel. "She loves alternative, folk, jazz, and so much more music."

And now she's inspired me to write a song about our cats to the tune of "Old Dog Blue," something I've long wanted to do. Maybe:

Had an ol' cat and his eyes were green
Prettiest cat you ever seen …

And now I've got to turn off the computer and go do something constructive!

No comments: