Saturday, August 08, 2015

Soup and salad recipes -- @ the Bake Shop, Girdwood, Alaska

OK, OK, this is a music blog (mostly), and this post has nothing to do with music.

But this morning I was on Facebook, and the subject of Girdwood, Alaska, came up. Girdwood is about an hour's drive east of Anchorage, and I used to go out there when Debi was busy with Alaska Domestic Violence Network meetings in town. I'd eat lunch at a little restaurant called the Bake Shop and head a few miles farther down the Seward Highway to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, where I'd spend an hour or two before heading back to Anchorage.

Other times, Debi and I would head out in the morning. The Seward Highway follows the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet out of Anchorage, and the scenery looks like fjord country in Norway. It's magnificent. Then we'd stop at the Bake Shop for a bowl of soup, which was also magnificent, before visiting the wildlife center.

Anyway, when I Googled up the Bake Shop today, I noticed it is now posting some of its recipes.

Among them: Great Northern Bean with Andouille Sausage, Tomato Basil, Beef Barley Vegetable Soup, Szegedin Goulash (named after a district in Hungary where they grow paprika) and a vegan African Ground Nut Stew. Also Potato Salad, Chicken Salad and a variety of baked goods.

Here's the link:

http://www.thebakeshop.com/bake-shop-recipes/

It's probably a little too soon yet, but summer is nearly over. And I want those recipes when it's soup-and-sandwich time again.

No comments: