Sunday, August 09, 2015

Teaching Din klara sol at United Methodist church in Colona, Illinois

This morning I taught "Again Thy Glorious Sun Doth Rise" (Din Klara Sol Går Åter Upp) from the Augustana Synod's 1901 hymnal and Dillner's Melodier (1830) at Colona United Methodist Church in the Quad-Cities. Hat tip to my sister-in-law Marian's husband Phil Paulson of LeClaire, Iowa, for recording it and sharing it on Facebook. Link here to the video on my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/peter.ellertsen/posts/1606929452901428

I like the way my re-enactment of a 19th-century Swedish pastor's singing school is jelling, although I definitely need to work on bowing and the whole presentation could use a little more polish! I think my audiences -- congregations -- do learn the song by the repetition that comes when I (a) play the melody on the psalmodikon, (b) lead the congregation in singing the sifferskrift numbers, and (c) lead them in singing all four verses from the English hymnal. Most of them seem to enjoy it.

For convenient reference, here's the hymn in sifferskrift, Dillner's numerical psalmodikon tablature:

The numbers reflect degrees of the scale: 1 = do, 2 = re, 3 = mi and so on up through 8 = do' at the octave.

More information at http://hogfiddle.blogspot.com/2015/05/din-klara-sol-gar-ater-opp.html.

No comments: